The key is to build an open, candid, trust-based relationship with your boss. This is more easily said and it takes a good deal of work to build a partnership. Especially building trust — which takes time. Your goals, and your boss’ goals, are basically the same. You want someone who is authentic or genuine, who is open and honest, and who is a great listener. You also want to be treated with respect and you want your voice to be heard. It takes time, and thought, to make this happen.
- Build an open, candid, trust-based relationship with the boss
- Interactions with your boss: Do’s and Don’t’s
- Understand how the boss thinks and what she values
- Understanding your boss’s key business priorities
- Practice communicating in a clear, concise manner
- Become a partner in helping the boss achieve his goals
- Be an ambassador for the boss to the rest of the firm