- Take 100% responsibility to make the relationship work
- Clarify mutual expectations early and often
- Begin managing expectations right away
- Aim for early wins in areas important to your boss and discuss what you are doing about them every time you interact
- Pursue good marks from those whose opinion your boss respects
- If your boss asks for something do it immediately.
- Don’t try to change your boss-adapt to his style and idiosyncrasies
- Don’t try to run a checklist when you meet-discuss what you are trying to do and how the boss can help you
- Don’t refer back to how you did it at another company
- Don’t stay away-reach out yourself and get on boss’s calendar regularly
- Don’t surprise your boss-report emerging problems early
- Don’t approach only with problems and when you do give a potential solution.