The relationship with your boss is the most important one you will have. Although you may have spent some (or a lot) of time with your boss during the interview process, you were in different roles then. The boss may have seemed to have all the time in the world when you were being recruited. Now, you will need to build a relationship while the boss has many things on the plate beside you. You must build the relationship on the boss’ terms and on his agenda.
Here are seven areas that need particular attention from the start (click on each for more detail):
- What are the job requirements?
- Interactions with your boss: Do’s and Don’t’s
- What can you learn about the boss’s personal skills and abilities?
- What are the boss’s key business priorities?
- How does the boss make business decisions?
- What can the boss do to make your transition as smooth as possible?
- Who does the boss want you to network with?