It is a big commitment to change companies and/or location in order to gain a promotional position. It is an even greater commitment to resign without having a new job to go to. You would need to think very carefully before taking that step.
Keep the following in mind:
- Determine your primary motivation at this point
- Decide if your current department can offer the opportunity you seek
- Launch a quiet search to see if the company can offer you the opportunity you seek
- Evaluate whether you are willing to wait for a promotion here or whether it is time to begin a job search in the marketplace
- Think very carefully before making the decision to leave your company without having landed a new job