Your number one objective must always be to produce at an outstanding level in your current job. Accomplishing this will provide you with the leverage to seek a promotion. As you are proving your success you will want to check with your boss and your mentor(s) to see if they think you are ready for the next career step.
Here are some key dimensions for ongoing self-evaluation as well as discussions with your boss and/or mentor:
- Have you spent enough time in your current job to be judged a success?
- What about this career so far has exceeded your expectations? What has been a disappointment? What implications are there for the future?
- What are your major professional goals at this point?
- Are you willing to change companies and/or location for a promotion?
- Are you constantly adding to your network?