Your behavior, from your first day, needs to mirror the values of the team. You need to watch and listen so you quickly learn what behaviors are acceptable and which are not.
Keep the following in mind:
- Watch and listen early in your tenure and do not spend too much time talking
- Watch the way that members of the group treat one another and emulate that model (if it is positive)
- Understand specifically how you can bring value quickly to help the group meet its goals
- Determine what you need to learn to effectively produce and begin to gain those skills
- Learn how best to listen and communicate with team members so as to become a productive team member
- Do not select someone who is outside the group norms as your role model.