When you are a newer member of the team you have to learn how to use your “voice.” In some cases having voice with candor can be regarded as too aggressive, while in other situations it is what is expected. In either case you must use care to be respectful of the feelings of others.
In using your voice:
- Figure out the degree to which the group is used to open, straight-forward dialogue where the truth is heard
- Help to create a high quality dialogue with peers regarding direction and priorities on an ongoing basis
- Always use care that you are inside the parameters of a respectful discussion
- If you inadvertently go to far be sure to apologize
- Participate in business decisions as appropriate