Representing your area or department to the rest of the firm is great marketing for your area and can also be a boon to your own networking efforts. If your area is one of the primary drivers of firm revenue your task may be easy. On the other hand, if you work for one of the support groups that doesn’t have revenue attached your task may be a little more difficult. In this case you’ll want to think through what you will say to someone in another group ahead of time.
- Be persuasive in marketing the area’s value to corporate colleagues
- Build relationships that will help to remove “silos”
- Learn where your groups expertise can assist other areas of the firm to succeed
- Be humble and share credit
- Represent the firm to outside stakeholders