It is critical to gain clarity regarding your roles and responsibilities. Then, you must remain aware in case the “winds of change” indicate that something may cause a modification. This can be that the company begins to hit tough times, there is a new boss/senior management, loss of a major client, etc. When this happens you must check to make sure your responsibilities will remain the same and what you can do to maximize productivity.
Developing an overall strategic approach to succeeding in the job involves an ongoing focus on and evaluation of the following key areas (click on each for more detail):
- The job requirements: Expectations and success
- Understanding exactly what the job is and what the three to six key determinants for success in the job are.
- Possessing complete knowledge and skills related to all of the relevant products and/or services.
- Being on top of the market pulse and needs.
- Categorizing clients according to importance and then servicing them accordingly.
- Managing your time in order to focus on your most important goals.