Spending time analyzing what you most enjoy (and don’t enjoy) in your present position is an exercise well worth doing. It is also helpful to think about projects that you wanted to work on but didn’t get the chance.
Keep the following in mind:
- List those accomplishments, and the details, that you have most enjoyed
- Generate or improve the skills that are associated with the accomplishment (e.g. adapting, delegating, liaising, forecasting, etc.)
- Define the areas where you wanted authority but were not given it
- Determine whether you were not given the authority due to skill-based, cultural or political reasons
- Decide if you, and your work, have been given enough exposure in the company