The more you can learn about the boss’s personal skills and abilities the faster you will be able to get on her “wavelength.” This information will help you to adjust more easily, it will make you more relaxed around the boss and it will help in building the relationship. Try to determine the extent to which the boss has:
- An ability to build relationships easily and fluidly
- An openness to new ideas that may not be his idea
- The resilience to remain in control and to think clearly while under stress
- The ability to motivate and energize staff
- An interest in allowing each member of her team to have “voice” and what responsibilities go with that
Assessing you boss on these dimensions will give you valuable clues as to how to interact with her in various situations and to avoid possible pitfalls in your relationship.