IT’S HARD TO AVOID THEM IF YOU DON’T SEE THEM COMING
There are numerous opportunities and pitfalls in a new job:
- Building relationships with senior management, your boss, your team, your clients and colleagues
- Building a strong, productive partnership with the members of your team
- Learning the culture, “how do things work around here”
- Exceptional individual productivity without bringing attention to yourself
- Listening well, understanding client’s goals and needs, and providing outstanding service
- Accepting suggestions from your boss and team members and incorporating good ones
- Being flexible and understanding things aren’t always going to go smoothly
- Measuring your success continuously and keeping records
- Take 100% responsibility for your relationships, productivity, and success
- Learning how your job “fits” in and how you can best benefit the company
- Develop a mentor.
- You must begin building formal and informal relationships right away with all of your constituencies beginning with your boss
- You must build credibility by successfully performing your job
- You must learn the culture, “how do things work around here” and be in sync with colleagues.