Once you have been hired to lead a team, division or company you’ll need to move fast in the first few months. The three critical keys to your success are to have a successful direction and strategy for the business, build a relationship with your boss, and to build a relationship with your team. Initially, the people decisions will be most important.
It is important to remember that success is going to involve the interaction of the business situation, your boss’s perspective on what needs to happen, and your personal and professional skills and abilities.
Keep the following in mind:
- What data regarding the company history, recent past, and present do I need to study?
- What is the best way to build a relationship with my boss?
- Has the direction been established and what leeway do I have to change it?
- How do I begin to build a relationship with my team while I am evaluating the team members?
- How do I help the team understand the changes that need to be made