When you join a team it’s not just about receiving help from others to orient you. The dynamic of the entire team changes and it is important to understand that it is about the changing relationships within the team as well. With the new working relationships, it may take time for you to assimilate into the team. Patience will be key. It is also possible that issues may arise that make it difficult for others in the group.
Keep the following in mind:
- Spend one-on-one time with each member of the team
- Have discussions with successful colleagues
- Determine who will be willing to coach and mentor you
- Learn the group’s preferred climate and work style
- Learn the behavior(s) that will help you to “fit” the group’s expectations
- Observe the means by which team members express pride in working on the team