Beginning the process of building rapport is the most important goal at the outset. The ability to get the other person talking so that you can listen and soak up as much learning as possible will be immensely helpful. Listening is also the most important skill in building a relationship.
Keep in mind the following:
- Research each client and learn as much as you can before you meet-both professionally and personally
- Meet one-on-one with the primary client to get to know one another
- If there is more than one primary client determine who they are as soon as possible and meet them
- Listen as much as possible to determine what they like about the way they have been serviced and what they don’t like
- Learn what motivates the client
- Learn how often and what the agenda should be when you meet