Every bit of study about the company and the industry before you begin a new job will help you to be successful. Start with a study of the company website. Continue your education by learning:
- What the Company does in all its divisions-the products, services and technology
- The company history
- Long-Term Past performance-If it has been good, “Why”? If it hasn’t been good, “Why”?
- Recent Past Performance-If it has been good, “Why”? If it hasn’t been good, “Why”?
- News and recent events
- Company culture, mission, and values
- Unique Selling Proposition-what makes the company different
- Competitors and their strengths and weaknesses
- The Policy Manual-is it possible to get a copy to read before you start?
- Key management and recent organizational changes-can you determine “Why”?
- Present vision and strategy-what does management hope to achieve?
Note: Take care of any personal responsibilities (doctor/dental visits, school conferences, travel, chores, etc. before you begin the new job)