Internal colleagues from other departments can assist you in your orientation. You probably met with members of the human resources department before you began your employment and you will need to reach out to appropriate colleagues who know and interact with your business.
Keep the following in mind:
- Begin to build a relationship that can be mutually beneficial
- Ask colleagues for their perspective on the operation of your department
- Ascertain where colleagues feel your department is particularly strong
- Ask about weaknesses and gain insight into their point of view
- Seek information about their working relationship with the person who fills your role
- Listen carefully for ways the relationship can be improved.