Time with your boss to understand the work product will be incredibly valuable to you and may not be too easy to get. Bosses who enjoy orienting, mentoring and coaching will be more willing to make time for you. Bosses who don’t will expect you to learn much more on your own.
Keep in mind the following:
- Administration-dress, behavior, time of arrival, etc.
- The boss’s expectations for your job success in the first 3, 6 and 12 months
- All aspects of the job description
- Agree upon the goals that are critical to your success-include how to measure results
- Receive suggestions for accomplishing the goals
- How success will be determined and measured
- Responsibilities that are not directly related to the work flow (orientation meetings, networking, etc.)
- How often you should meet to discuss progress
- Identify those duties that are at the top of the boss’s list and that need to be accomplished successfully-understand the time frames.